Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Learning to Embrace My Inner Donkey




I am really trying to get a handle on this donkey thing.  I just keep getting snapped by the luckboxes, so I am trying a new strategy....If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Almost knocked a player out by calling his raise (he had 9/9) with my 5/3 offsuit.  I flopped a 5, called his bet, turned a 3, shoved, he called but the board paired aces and counterfeited me.  Guess I am not such a lucky donk.  Fortunately, I was chip leader and thus lived to fight another day...coming in 2nd in the tournament.....losing my final hand with Q/9 vs. Q/10 on a flop of Q/10/9.

Lynne, reading your comment on my last post, I feel your pain.  That was donkdom to the Nth degree.  If you look at my rules for donks, you will see that they cannot fold any pair or draw.  And, always remember that an unimproved pair is not the nuts, even if it is an overpair to the board.

So, as I am embracing my inner donk, I have resolved to change my game up a bit.  I am going to experiment with playing position, not cards, and stack size, not cards or position.  Try to think of my "new" game as one of rock, scissors, paper.  We all know the rules on that one.  So:

Position beats cards
cards beat stack
stack beats position

If you think of poker as "playing the player", "playing the stack", "playing the position" rather than simply believing that you must have premium hands, or flops to win, then you have lots more opportunity.  For a while I intend to ignore my cards pretty much and try winning by playing better.  That will include playing some real donkey hands, so will let my dedicated readers know how that turns out.

I am planning on playing tomorrow night at the semi-private game above the restaurant.  Have not had good luck there but time for a change!!!

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Do we really need to turn into bad players to win? Doesn't seem fair does it? I hear you though. It appears to be the only way. Sad but true. Either that or stop playing limit games altogether.

Phil said...

Limit games suck in general. You have to be prepared for more variance. With NL games, you are playing for stacks so you have to be prepared to go broke quickly (vs. slowly w/limit I guess). Two different mindsets on limit vs. NL (includes tournaments).