Friday, January 31, 2014

How can People Play so Bad?

My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.
- Rodney Dangerfield
<><>

Back to the Moose morning madness.  I watch player after player self-destruct and luckboxes take turns getting lucky and unlucky.  A player gets knocked out early after flopping a set of jacks against 6/7 suited.  The suited flops 2 of his suitel, bets, is raised by the set, re-raises all-in and is called.  Naturally he hits a flush on the turn.  Later he gives all the chips back on an A/7/8 flop with two of a suite, naturally he goes all-in, is called by the draw, but wait.....another player has flopped two pair A/8 vs. his A/7.  The flush fails to hit, players down.

I watch crappy hands go all-in on draws and fail.  Finally, with blinds at 100/200, and me with about 2200 in chips, an early position player shoves his last 800.  I have pocket 5's and call rather than re-raise (a mistake it turns out).  For some unknown reason the small blind, who has about 2600, also calls.  The flop is:  9/9/10.  It is checked to me and I shove 1400.  The pot was approximately 2600 and with my bet is now 4000.  The blind almost snap calls with 8/Q for a gutshot straight draw and one weak overcard.  Now, if it is me, I calculate that I have to call almost 3/1 odds on an at best 6/1 draw (assuming his queen would be enough to win....which given the board might not be enough), and more likely a 10/1 longshot.

Sure enough, Kevin brings a queen on the river and both of us are eliminated.  I don't recall what the other player had, but obviously no pair...maybe a weak king. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Aren't you glad to be back - LOL?? Hope I will see you tomorrow. I'll try my luck in both the 8am and 10am against all those bad players. Unfortunately, sometimes I'm one of them. I hate to admit it. I actually took 2nd in the Steve Stark tournament last Sunday. First cash in forever and only $65. Oh well.