Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Vegas, Baby

Our winter vacation is coming to an end.  We left Arizona yesterday, stopping in Las Vegas for the first night.  We got there super early, around 2:00, but if you know much about driving in Nevada, it is a really long drive to any towns North, and those are tiny.  So, short driving day and lots of time to fill.  Hmmm, wonder if Helene & Milo would mind if I wandered over to the Venetian for a little poker?  Guess not.  Luckily, they had a free shuttle to Harrah's, which is right next door to the Venetian.  Awesome.

Arriving about 3:30, the only open seat was in a 4/8 game.  It was extremely "soft", and I won a couple of small pots, but like all low limit games the chasers got me most of the time.  Down about $35, a seat opened up on the 3/6 omaha kill game.  I quickly took my seat and found myself in the big blind the first hand.  Winning that one, I was now even and never looked back.  The game was awesome.  Usually 7 players saw the flop and players were playing either garbage or calling with non-nut hands.  I was a little concerned with a smart-mouthed punk kid at the other end of the table, but never lost a pot to him.  He had about 400 in front of him and the guy next to me said he hadn't missed a lucky river yet.

Three hours later, I cashed out for $314 on my $100 original "investment".  Love that game!  The only downer was waiting a half hour for the shuttle, arriving at the hotel (La Quinta....they deserve the complaint to follow) to find the hot water was not working in the shower.  Plus, there were ants crawling all over the bathroom, including the towels.  My call to the office brought quick action, which involved schlepping all of our stuff to the room next door.  Problem solved....until the next day when we discovered the toilet would not flush.  Another visit to the office, they apologized and offered some compensation.  I was hoping for more than the 1000 points they gave me toward my rewards program.  Rough equivalent in dollars = $8.00, as it takes about 11,000 for a free room.  I can hardly wait to receive my request to evaluate the stay!!! 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Well now I know where NOT to stay - LOL. Ants!! Ick. They should have simply given you a free room. I suppose if I was managing a hotel I would never make any money because that's what I would have done.

Glad you found a good game and made some money. It always beats the alternative. Hope to see you soon. Will you be in Tri-Cities any time in the near future?