Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Long Night of Poker



I decided to go for the cash game at the Wild Horse Pass last night.  No omaha game just an interest list, so signed up for the 4/8.  An hour later, down $55, they start the omaha.  The game was pretty sane with very few preflop raises (at first).  I lost some massive pots on the river, and to be fair also won a few there.  The rake is huge, with $3 being dropped in the freaking bonus slot, as well as the regular rake, which I think was $4.  In a split pot game, it makes it very hard to beat.  I kept getting "felted", but was rebuying small, either $60 or $40 as it made it easier to chase if need be.  A new player stepped into the game, raised a kill pot (this was 4/8), so made it $16 to go.  The pot got crazy big with nearly everyone in it, and he ended up hogging the whole thing with a miracle river card for a wheel (he had raised preflop with 4/5/x/x, no pair unsuited...basically a muck preflop hand).  Dumb luck.  I raised and he reraised ($48) on the river with second nut low as I just could not believe that anyone would preflop raise with his garbage...so I put him on a set or two pair with the A/2/3 on the board.  My bad.

They have a "rolling thunder" drawing every week.  You get an entry card for every full house, or in omaha, quads.  If it is not collected (they call a name every 2 hours), it rolls over and $100 is added.  Last night it had grown to $1900.  You must be seated in a game to win, so lots of regulars showed up late.  One guy hit it, as they continued to draw names until a winner on the last night.  I earned one entry in the new one with quad 3's, which also won a nice pot.  Helene called me a half hour before the 1:00 a.m.drawing to enquire about my health and casually ask when the hell I would be "home".  She was actually very nice about it, but was keeping her up late, so with only a handful of entries in the drawing, I left before I had a chance of the $100 that would have gotten me even for the night.  One of the other players, hearing my side of the phone call asked me how long I had been married, when I told him 40 plus years he said, "You get an extra 5 minutes for every year", when I racked up, he said, "That is why you have remained married for 40 years".

One very bad pot for me was playing pocket 10's on a flop of K/10/x with the king and ten suited in spades.  I bet the entire way to protect against the draws and was dismayed to see the Jack of spades on the river.  Another player bet, but with a big  pot, you can't automatically dump a set on the river to a scare card.  He definitely had THE flush, holding the Q/A in his hand for a royal.  Nice hand sir!  That earned a spin of the wheel, giving him another $100 (the minimum prize).  Found out I was behind and drawing to one out the entire way as another player had KK for a flopped overset.

Overall loss, about $100 as I cashed out for $202 after going on a mini heater at the end, short handed in the game of 5 players.  Pretty sure the game broke after I left.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That's not too bad a loss for all that fun right? Tell Helene that 40 years of marriage entitles you to a few late nights out - LOL. You're a good guy. Anything special planned for your birthday? Hope it's a good one. See you someday.