Monday, December 3, 2012

Bad Tournament Luck (Not Mine, Particularly)

Friday night was a blood bath of bad luck.  I dealt table #2 and "Mike", one of the good guy players had accumulated a good chip stack.  Another player, who I will not name, not nearly as universally popular or nice, raised big with AK offsuit.  Mike reraised all in with JJ.  The flop was small, so far so good, but with 2 clubs.  Turn again a brick, but another club.  The all-in villain had the king of clubs.  So, naturally, the river was a club.  Dumb luck prevails.  I had folded AK offsuit the hand before to mr. lucky's all in raise with 7/7.

Making the final table, Mike raised in late position with K/Q, and calls a very short stack all-in with K/4 suited.  He hits his 4 to double up.  The next hand, Mike raises with AK and calls the all-in who has K/J.  Two jacks hit the flop.

The very next hand, Mike goes all-in with Q/Q and is called by Q/10, who rivers a straight.  Three sick beats in a row, plus the earlier one. 

3 comments:

7 Dewey said...

OMG and I thought that I had bad luck. I feel for this guy, but you should read my blog and see how I got beat on Sunday. Mostly my fault but still . . . .

Phil said...

Forgot to mention how I got eliminated in 8th place. Shoved 2 big blinds from small blind vs. bb, he had pocket queens vs. my A2.

7 Dewey said...

Thanks for your (as always) very smart comments on my terrible play. As for $2 to the PSJ, it is my understanding that the small blind goes to the PSJ so it is only $1. However, the regular rake is now $3 if the pot if over $30. I think. You may want to clarify with Roland.

By the way I think that waiting to shove with 2 big blinds as you did above is way worse than shoving with 16 big blinds. You won't get anyone to fold for 2, but you might for 16. I think you were right on the whole however - I usually wait until I'm at 7-10 blinds.