Saturday, December 15, 2012

Have I finally figured out the cash game?

Wow, I could get used to this.  Last night I won $120 in the 2/20 game.  My secret?  If I told you it would no longer be a secret would it?  O.K. since you are pressuring me, here it is:  I play super squeaky tight.  When I say tight, this is what I mean.  Folding 99% of hands in early position.  This includes connectors, suited or not, weak aces (described as anything worse than AJ...and that hand must be suited), I am raising with big pairs or AK, limping with small pairs which I will fold to big raises (more than $5).  Late position am open to more hands including suited connectors, weak aces if there are tons of limpers.....otherwise they are probably folds.  Also, folding nearly all small blinds, even with the whole table limping.  I did not see a single hand that I would have won from small blind,  and the $3 and hour you spend does add up.  Also, folded nearly all straddles, even from the big blind with reasonable hands.  Again, lots of straddles, so saved quite a bit.  My attitude is well known about straddles and even got up once to prevent "La Thief" from doing it to my big blind.  Ha-Ha!  If I have a "real" hand with a straddle on, will always raise $20.

Some examples of hands that I limped with...and folded post flop:  AK, QQ....both from the blinds with a lot of limpers.  These are hands that I want to see a flop cheap and either dump or pump according to the board.  Saved me a lot of money.

My aces were snapped once.....short stack with 5/5 insisted on calling his last $18 on small flop with a gutshot....which he hit.

My biggest pot was A/9 suited in late position, calling a small (frequent) raiser who had A/2 suited.  Flop was A/9/2 and he insisted on raising and re-raising me on every street.  I got my whole stack in good and doubled up.

Bottom line is this:  Extreme tight play is working for me where nothing else has.  My variance is way down and have had profitable days the last three sessions.  The old adage:  play loose in a tight game, and tight in a loose game is very true.  And, by nature, the 2/20 at the Moose is as loose a game as I have ever seen.  Lots of gamblers, donks, aggression, dumb calls, calling stations, chasers, ATC's, etc.  The only way to beat that is to only enter pots under great conditions:  last to play, very strong cards, good reads.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Yeah, well, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. You will have to let me know your results over the long haul. Personally, I seem to win more when I play loose like everyone else.