Saturday, October 13, 2012

Good Tournament Luck

It is amazing sometimes how luck plays such a major part in your tournament life (or death).  Let me cite a few examples from last night's American Legion tourney.

On a flop of 5/5/K, a very loose and poor player bets a little over min bet with his 5/7.  He is called by K/6, I fold my K/4.  The turn is a blank, the bad player bets another small bet which is called.  The river is a king, he bets again, the nuts raises, he calls and loses the pot.  One outer time for the king and unbelievably poorly played by the 5/7.  I was dealing, and regretting not playing the hand as I would have shoved with the nuts and probably the bad player would have called off all his chips.

Next luck example, on the final table a player raises with J/J, he is called by 10/10.  Another player, one of the deep stacks re-raises all-in with J/J (yes there were two of them).  Everyone calls and the river brings a 10.  Two outer victory.

Later, the same player who won with his 10's is in the small blind with K/K.  One player limps, I have A/10 on the button.  I raise, hoping to take the pot down or isolate the limper.  The kings re-raises all-in and I call, figuring he may be on a squeeze play.  Ooooh, hate to see those kings, but lately they have been trouble for me.  The flop brings no help to me, but the turn offers help, a 10 plus now a flush draw.  The river is another 10 for my lucky win.

Later, the same player is eliminated with A/A when a four flush is on the board and the opponent has the flush card.  Ouch.

Saw several like that, lost to J/8 with my K/J when he hit an 8 when we were down to 5 players.  Good news at the end, as the chip leader (me) proposed a 5 way chop of $205 each (nobody had more that 10 big blinds) with $20 each going to dealers.  Since I was a dealer for table 2, will get 30% of $100 for a net cost in tournament of only $10 and a net profit of $195. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

It sounds like you've been doing fairly well in the American Legion tournaments lately even if you do have to deal a lot. Speaking of luck - I saw KK go down to 10-10 in the 8am tournament Sunday when Hollie hit her 2-outer and knocked Steve out. Poor old Steve woke up with KK again in the 10am tournament against me this time. He only made a min-raise so I tagged along with my 33 and spiked one to knock him out. He may never play kings again!!