Saturday, March 20, 2010

Terrible Play, mine especially

Sometimes I am just amazed at the level of bad play that I see in tournaments. Last night was a great example. I saw people needlessly going all in with K/8 offsuit ( I knocked her out with KJ), another player failing to call a mini-raise early with pocket 9's (the raiser had 8's, and the flop was 9/8/x. He would have gotten all the chips.

My bad play was reraising an early position raiser (he had demonstrated poor judgement and was raising light usually). I had just won a couple of pots and had about 4000 from a very short stack earlier. The blinds were 100/200, and when he min-raised, I reraised on the button to 1200 with AQ suited. The big blind, an excellent player, who was also dealing, reraised me all-in. My problem was not taking time to see how "pot committed" I really was. Had I thought longer about what she would need to reraise, and realizing that I would still have 3000 left, I would have folded. As it turned out, I am not sure who was dumber, me for calling her reraise (she had AK suited), or her for not flat calling and seeing what the flop brought (none of her suit, and the king came on the turn). Dumb and dumber. I have seen this with her before though, she takes a bad beat poorly and donks off her chips quickly, so maybe I am giving her play too much credit. I just know that in a similar situation with AK I am not putting in the third raise.

More information on my poker buddy who passed away. They think he died 5 days before his body was found. Another reason not to be a loner.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I can understand why you raised with AQ but considering the original source (under the gun), if it were me, I think I would have just folded and avoided the entire situation. Hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?