Monday, March 22, 2010

Best Online Tournament Win

Last night I had my best ever online win. I was running very good in Omaha cash games, which I have been playing mostly, but decided to enter a dreaded rebuy turbo tournament while playing the cash game. This type of tournament does not favor my type of play. First of all, I hate rebuying because unless you finish very high you often don't even get your rebuys back. Secondly, I like to play a patient game and it is pretty wild in rebuys. I saw one player rebuy 3 times in a half hour, then do a double add-on. I just refuse to play that way. The other thing I don't like is the turbo. Blinds and antes just go up too fast to wait for premium hands. That said, I bought in once...got lucky on a pocket queens all-in against two players, tripling up early. I was as high as 6th early on but saw my stack slip down quickly (139 total players). They were paying 27 spots and I was hovering around 30th with 40 players left, but knew that many players would gamble and get knocked out, so I just hunkered down determined to get into the money (paid 3X buy-in). Once I got "in the money" I loosened up a little, went all-in several times and won every coin flip except one...but had them covered extremely well. By the time I hit the final table I had bounced back and forth to the payout schedule many times, calculating that if I could just outlast one or two players I would move up in payout.

On the final table I was the 2nd or 3rd shortest stack, with the big stack around 15x my stack. With several all-ins with pocket pairs I climbed up finally ending up heads up with a 2 to one advantage. The final hand I had pocket 4's (my least favorite pocket pair), but great heads up. He had AQ and the flop came x/q/4 and he was drawing almost dead. After the turn he was. My win? 100 times my buy-in. Awesome! I am making progress on the Chris Ferguson $10,000 challenge (taking online bankroll from $0 freeroll to $10,000). Will let you know when I get there.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Wow! That's sweet - congratulations!