Sunday, October 25, 2015

Orleans Unusual Beat



I am always anxious to "get into the action" when I first arrive in Vegas.  Landing about 3:30 on Saturday a quick omaha session was in order.  Unfortunately, after chipping up about $50 in just a few hands, the table broke down and became extremely short handed.  With high rakes and split pots this is never a good thing so I enrolled in the 7:00 $125 bounty deepstack tournament.  There were lots of entries, around 80- 90 I believe and things went fairly well for me with one $25 bounty.  I had a terrible seat, to the immediate right of a loose and lucky player who had collected 6 1/2 bounties (one chopped pot).  We played down to two tables with about 6 or 7 players on each table and 8 places being paid.

The player to my immediate right was a young man who was very aggressive and got lucky several times.  The hand that knocked me out happened like this.  I was in the big blind with QJ suited (I really like this hand).  Two big stacks limped in and when it got back to the small blind he min-raised to 4000.  I had around 15000 or so, not in great shape, but this looked to be a giant pot with the limpers showing no strength and additional dead money from antes.  We all called.  The flop looked like a dream for me, 4/4/Q.  This is a flop that does not figure to hit many hands as a better queen probably would have raised and the action should have driven any A4 hands out.  So, naturally, when the small blind checked to me, I shoved.  Everyone folded back to the small blind who looked quickly at his cards and said, "I call".  What does he reveal you ask?  K/4 offsuit naturally.  Unbelievable!!!  I am gone, shaking my head as I head to my room at 12:30 p.m. 4 places off the money.  Not a great start to my poker trip.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That's just awful but quite typical of a loose and lucky player. It seems like a hand he would more likely play if he were in the 3-20 game at the Moose - LOL. Some people just don't care what they play and then they are rewarded so they keep right on doing it.