Saturday, October 10, 2015

Head Cold and Cold Deck

Do you sometimes know that you really should not be playing cards?  Last night I was coming down with a cold and had not slept well the night before.  So sick I knew dealing was out of the question.  Really I would have stayed home but wanted to drive my new rig with the wrap still on it down to show the boys. I was so card dead that when a table balance was needed I all but shouted "Yahoo" (not the company, the cowboy word, as if I have to explain this to you my ultra-intelligent readers).  Early on at my new bestest table I limped on the button with A9 suited with a bunch of early limpers.  The flop hit my two pair and when the big stack bet, I raised big.  Fold.  Damn.  I then went card dead again.  At this point in the tournament I have been dealt zero pairs.  I am seeing mostly big little or high medium little cards.  Nothing really playable.

Another table move and I was at 2400 with blinds at 200/400.  Not where I want to be.  The first hand I am dealt is A/4 of clubs.  I briefly consider my options in the cutoff and go for the shove.  I am snap called by a big stack in the big blind.  He turns over JJ.  But hallelujah two clubs flop and a third one joins them on the turn.  Quick double up and I am back in the game.

The very next hand the same player shoves with QQ and is called by a bigger stack who has AJ.  She hits an ace on the river, but the wrong ace.  There are 3 clubs on the board, the ace of clubs gives Mr. Lucky the second nut flush.

The third hand I have AQ of clubs.  The same active player min-raises and I flat call.  The flop is 9 high and I shove.  Snap call, KK.  I fail to find an ace and am gone.  My question is:  How the "F" does one player get JJ, QQ, and KK three hands in a row when I have not had a pair all freaking night?

I congratulate the player and leave with these actual words, "Nice hand, fuck you I won a car". Trying to be a better person, baby steps.

Post script, was sicker than sick last night and not much better today.  Am hoping to feel good enough to play and deal the quarterly $100 tournament tomorrow.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Yesterday was a major sick day for me. Slept the entire day. No poker for me.

7 Dewey said...

Poor baby. I sure hope you feel better soon. It's never a good idea to play poker when tired, sick or massively irritated about something (like a huge tree branch falling down in your yard - LOL). Sounds like you are enjoying the car!!