Thursday, October 8, 2015

Ace Play Criticized

Sometimes it is not enough for players to beat your aces with cheese.  They sometimes feel compelled to explain how poorly you played them.  So, dealing last night I gave myself aces with a couple of limpers in early position.  Blinds were 15/30, so I added a bit for the limpers and raised to $110.  Everyone folded except for the UTG player.  I expected him to show up with a good hand here that would pay off my aces.  The flop came, 6/6/J rainbow.  Pretty darn good flop for me, so when he checked I bet around $180.  He calls.  The turn was a brick, maybe a 10.  He checked, I bet $225, he check raised me to $480.  I thought for a bit and as it was possible that this particular player had called my preflop raise with A/6 suited, I flat called to see the river.  If an ace came I would definitely own him.  The river was another jack, and he checked.  I checked behind and announced that I had 3 pair and his full house was good.  He turned over a particularly stinky piece of cheese, J/5 unsuited, and collected the pot.  He then proceeded to tell me that I had "played bad".  I guess if he meant that I didn't shove at some point before the river he would have folded.  Hmmm.  I truly believe that a player capable of calling a substantial raise before the flop with that hand and catching top pair would never fold to my shove.  Maybe I am wrong.  I cannot criticize his play as it was tricky and would have gotten folds on the turn from most hands, but I truly feel that I excercised pot control and lost the minimum possible.  Please correct me if I am wrong and tell me what your line of play would have been.  I think that I was extracting maximum value until losing to the 2 outer.  What say you?

Now short stack I played for a while ultimately shoving against small blind, short stack big blind and one very deep stack limper with my A/10.  All but the small blind called and BB had A/9, limper KQ.  I lost to two pair KQ (jack on the river would have saved me). 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think you played it perfectly and, quite frankly, I'm amazed that the other player said ANYTHING about playing bad at all, considering what he called you with. Sheesh.

How's the new ride?