Saturday, January 3, 2015

OOPS! Misdeal first hand.




Wow, what a crowd showed up for Friday night poker.  39 players, the most I have seen in a very long time.  Naturally, I was asked to deal, and I accepted.  With 10 players at all but one table (we rarely even use the 4th table), I had a few new faces at mine.  Imagine my chagrin when I misdealt the first hand due to the crowded conditions.  Bring 'em back, boys with the usual groans when someone has to return their lone ace.  O.K., settle down and deal the hand.  Oh look, Mom, I dealt myself aces.....Hmm, now this looks damned suspicious.  I raise, get two callers, and with a jack high flop, a player bets into me.  I raise, he folds, and I turn over the rockets.  Collective groan.  This group is going to be keeping an eagle eye on me from now on.

Unfortunately that is the only pair I deal to myself all night.  I watch a player double up on a set over set flop (jacks vs. 10's), only to have the one outer disappear on the turn when another jack comes.  New high hand being posted, good for $78 if it holds up.  Don't laugh, have dealt a number of straight flushes, including a royal.  I win a couple of hands, manage to accumulate about 2800 chips when a "very lucky" player, who also is my nemesis raises from early position.  Blinds are big, 200/400, I have only 7 BB's and have been giving myself garbage, so when I see AQ I put them all in.  Before I give you the results, here is the kind of junk this player has been winning with:

QJ vs. KJ:  he flops K/10/9 and doubles up through a huge stack
AQ vs. AK:  he hits his queen

So, he turns over 10/10 and the flop is K/K/x and I am drawing very weak and am out when I cannot find my 6 outs.  Just to show you the unfairness of this, another dealer who has transferred to my table shoves with 7/7 vs. QJ, and the player hits a jack.  A player is eliminated with A5 vs. J5 (very small stack and player in big blind), when a jack rivers.  Why does the worst hand win so often?  I am particularly shocked how often the dominated hand wins.  Where is the justice?

No idea how much in tips I will receive, a surprise for next week.  I only got $16 from last week with small turnout (and possible weak tippers). 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think it's quite funny that you dealt yourself AA but you must do that much more often - LOL. As for the worst hand always seeming to win - that is the story of my life. All I have to do is think about the last incident with Jimmer where his AK crushed my KK with an ace on the flop and my AA lost to his QQ when he hit a Q on the river. I almost expect to lose with the best hand. It's pathetic!! I haven't played this month. Will probably only play Stark tournament on the 18th. I need a break. Hope you get lots of tips!