Monday, January 26, 2015

Birthday Week Update

My birthday week was just fine, thank you.  Friday night dealing at the Legion, enjoying my usual very bad luck (all in with JJ vs. AQ)...I had the jacks of course and the ace was dealt by my evil twin, Dr. Phil.  But, here is an interesting hand I dealt that still has 'em talking.

7 seat is short stacked, about 1300.  Shoves.
8 seat has her covered, insta shoves.
9 seat has both covered, insta shoves.

7 seat turns over 6/6
8 seat reveals A/A
9 seat shows A/A

Flop is a rainbow with a 6 and both aces are drawing dead to a chop on the side pot. :)  Poker is not fair.

So, my birthday week progresses with a visit from the Portland family.  We eat, watch movies, walk on the beach, visit, etc.  Always enjoyable to see the family.



 They leave Sunday afternoon and I drive to Wheeler for a poker friend's 50th birthday bash.  They have just returned from a vacation in Mexico at 2:30 a.m., but there is no quit in them.  Unbelievable decorations, wine and beer, bar eats on a buffet table, and  3 tables set up for a poker tournament.




 I get sloshed (for me) before the game starts and make the brilliant decision (since my cards have been running so bad) to play the first hand dealt agressively without looking at my cards.  So, I raise to 3 x the blind and am re-raised by a tight/good player.  Call.  Blind.  He leads out big on the turn and I look at my cards.  10/8 of spades.  There are 2 spades on a small (jack high I think) flop and turn.  I call for all but around 300 of my chips.  River is a brick and I fold to his bet.  He tables pocket kings.  Well, that didn't turn out as planned.

Before the game had started (again it is the spirits talking), I suggest that since the birthday boy has paid his own friggin way into the tournament that we each put $5 in a pot for a bounty on him, but with the twist that he gets 1/2 the bounties.  More on this later.

So, the next hand dealt I have a nut flush draw against a set and lose all but one chip.  The "table captain" suggests that we make the tournament a re-entry format until the break.  Everyone agrees.  I am out the next hand and re-buy for another $40.  If you are astute at math you will now know that I am into this game for $85.  Nice.  Several other players bust out and re-buy, including one excellent WSOP veteran and another that I knock out with a nut flush draw that did come in.

I manage to get the bounty boy all-in with my broadway vs. his set of queens and am hoping to get at least one buy-in back.  The board pairs the river and he chips up.  We play down to the final table and thanks to some great hands (including one all-in with my A/7 vs. A/10...spiking a 7), and I am probably 2nd in chips.  We are paying 4 places plus the bubble, and the guy who took most of my chips the first hand gets his money back.  We are down to Mike, the tournament organizer, Larry, the WSOP veteran, Scott, the birthday boy and myself.  I have a great chance for the bounty when he shoves with A/10 and I have A/J, but I fold.  Have learned through bitter experience that shoving with A/J is fine, but calling a shove with it usually leads to trouble.  Besides, I was comfortably still in 2nd place with a good stack.  Mike gets very short but doubles up a couple of times through Scott and ultimately gets his bounty.  Larry is crushing the table and has the majority of chips until we get a ton of them into a very sketchy board and I win with a pair of 10's.  I am now chip leader by about 4 or 5,000 chips but we are all tired (old guys you know), and when I suggest a chop they both agree.  My payoff is $273 before dealer tip, multiple buyins, and bounty, so not a big payday but great for a fun birthday party.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

The tournament sounds like a blast and a good time was had by all! Good job winning. I usually don't re-enter so I would have been knocked out early if it was me.

Nice to see you actually smiling in a selfie! It appears that you are totally enjoying your retirement.