Sunday, January 11, 2015

Why I Am Not Playing the "Big" Quarterly Tournament

Once a quarter they hold the big $100 buy-in tournament at the American Legion.  I decided not to play in it this time.  Why you may ask?  Well, the biggest reason is that my luck absolutely stinks right now, almost as much as the cards I am getting.  It was tempting when I got a text message asking if I would deal as that would cut my potential loss at least by 3/4.  I anticipate 20 players @ $100 = prize pool of $2000 which would net tips of around $150, split two ways for a net cost of "only" $25 as they would be split evenly.  First place will be around $800 with probably 3 or 4 paid.  not bad odds, but given my run lately both live and on-line just a waste of time and money. I am probably being wanky and too tight by not dealing/playing, but just do not feel the love right now.

How bad am I running?  Playing online omaha the very first hand I am dealt I turn the nut full house (AA on a A/9/x board), the turn pairs the 9 and brings either a straight or a flush in and it is jammed all the way.  What does my opponent have? 9/9 for quads.  That my friends is what running bad is like!

O.K. an update on last night.  Decided to play the big tournament.  Bad decision.  I ended up going out fairly early and had to deal for over 5 hours for $62 in tips.  Plus the tournament organizer got mad at the final table and left.  It had to do with bubble payment.  Plus we had a mini-dispute over tips allocation since we added a third dealer (ended up with a 3 way even split).  FRAAAA!!!!

My last hand you ask?  After losing a huge chunk of my stack to pocket aces (I dealt at least 6 pocket aces...3 to one player on the final table...guess who won the tournament.? Yep.) with my A/9 suited on an ace high flop, I shoved my 5 blind stack with 9/9 and was called by KQ.  He flopped two pair.  Later I dealt "justice" when he got them all-in with AQ and 9/9 turned a set and rivered quads.  Something poetic there.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Man you are running bad. I'm sorry to hear it. It will turn around some day. I have been true to my word so far and have played zero poker since 12/31. I did tell Steve Stark that I would play his tournament this Sunday and I might play the 10am Moose tournament prior to that. No live play though. I'm done with that unless I go to Pendleton sometime and can play no limit.
Wish me luck on Sunday!