Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Defining Good Luck

Luck is such an elusive fickle lady.  Frank Sinatra had it right when he sang "Luck be a lady tonight" and asked that she "stay here right by my side".




Sometimes we can be lucky in things not related to card games, like yesterday when we were lucky enough to overhear the Southwest Airlines ticket people talking about how the flight was oversold.  Do you need some volunteers for bumping?  What is the compensation?  Oh, you will reimburse the cost of my flight plus another $300 flight credit?  Well, if you must twist my arm, how soon can you get us back to Portland?  Oh, 4 hours later?  Well, might as well put our names on the list.  Thanks for the two $460 vouchers.



We were routed through San Jose and after a plane change, arrived in Portland 4 hours after our original schedule and $920 richer.  My poker friend Don said it was like winning a tournament.  Think he was just about right as many last about that much time and pay that much for 1st (thinking of the Sunday Moose).

I am challenging myself to writing more this year, and not just about poker.  Thinking of starting a new blog but really hate to quit this one.  Some names I was kicking around in my brain were:  Phil's (Mental) Pharts, Cannon Beach Bum, Aging Gracelessly, Delusional Thinking.  Will have to give this much more thought.  It would be great to grow a huge readership and make money, but will have to step up my game a bunch.  My next posts may be related to recent books read.  Can I interest anyone in a nice review?

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Luck is luck. I just wish I had more of it in the poker world.
I love to read so go for it on the book reviews. I think your blog should definitely be entitled Cannon Beach Bum LOL. I'm going to listen to Sinatra on my phone now. My favorite is "My Way".