Thursday, January 8, 2015

Analyzing One Tournament




Playing in a tournament a few days ago I decided to track a few things:
1.  Winning Hand (if revealed)
2.  My hand
3. Whether hand was decided preflop, flop, turn or river
4.  The hand the winner made

I played a total of 74 hands before being eliminated (my hand was KQ vs. Q9 all-in on flop of Q/9/x).  Here are some interesting things.

1.  I won a total of 7 hands.  
2.  7 hands were decided pre-flop (someone raised and everyone folded)
3.  12 hands were decided on the flop
4.  11 hands were decided on the turn.
5.  43 hands went to the river
6.  A total of 39 hands had no showdown

Winning Hand
High card   1
Pair             12
2 Pair            8
Set or trips   2
Straight        2
Flush            2
Full House   2 (1-split pot)
Quads           1  (deuces)
Unknown      ?

I am not sure this tournament is typical or even what the statistics mean.  Here are the hands that I won with:

Q/10 - won on the river with a pair of queens
K/J suited - won on the river with pair of kings
A/J - Raised pre-flop and everyone folded
8/2- won with pair of 8's on the river (suspect it was my big blind)
K/9 suited- won on the flop (2 pair)
Q/8 suited- won on the river with a full house - queens full of jacks
J/9 - won on the flop with trip jacks (probably should have slow played...but didn't write down)

The interesting thing about the hands I won with is that they all were high gap connected cards...except for the blind special.  I was not dealt a single pair.  The winning hand was a pair (in their hand) 7 times. Shows how bad my cards have been running.  Was dealt AK only once, no AQ, AJ once, then A/9 twice.  What place?  Don't recall....think it was a 45 person SNG and I finished around 11th.


1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I'm not sure what all that stuff means but it's interesting. One thing it makes me think about is patience. When a person gets so few pairs (or any at all) it's really hard to be patient. I know that I tend to get an itchy trigger finger as it were and when I see 2 connected cards after a long drought they look like aces to me. In tournaments with short blind rounds it's even harder. Sometimes I wonder why I like the game so much. It is so frustrating.

Love the hair!!