Sunday, December 28, 2014

This is what happens when you don't knock a player out

Bad things can happen when you don't knock a player out when you have a chance.  Playing today in a $25 guaratee rebuy tournament I ended up re-buying 3 times.  The first re-buy happened when I raised with KK and was re-raised all-in by QQ.  Naturally, he hits a queen in the door.  Re-buy, I turn top pair with my KQ (flop was 10/J/2).  I shove with my top pair and open ender to be called by 9/2.  He hits a 2 on the river and I re-buy.  Now I get deep and this hand comes up.  I have around 10K, with blinds @ 200/400 and I am in big blind with garbage, J/4.  A short stack shoves for around 1400 and is called by the small blind...a very loose player.  I consider calling but we are near the money bubble and I have garbage.  Understand that if the other player folds, I am calling as there are antes involved and I am getting pretty good pot odds.  So, the all in player doubles up plus antes and my blind with his 10 high.  This player not getting eliminated is important to me later.

So, now on the button, the chipped up player shoves.  I have 6/6 and call only to see his 7/7 hold up.  Now short stacked, but in the money (16 players left...paying 18), I limp on the button with K/10.  The flop is 9 high and checked to me so I shove.  Everyone folds except the loose player to my right who calls with a 5/7 open end draw.  Naturally, he hits his 8 on the river to eliminate me in 16th place.  I get back almost 2 buy-ins, but a losing tournament for me.

The tournament pictured below was a disappointment.  I played for 2 1/2 hours and missed cashing by 6 people (42/36).  There were over 600 re-entries and add-ons.  I only bought in once with no add-on.  Was eliminated by runners to make a straight...had him all the way.






   

No comments: