Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Busting The Tight Players

Playing in the 3/20 spread game at the Moose last night there were 3 very tight players.  One who shall remain unnamed, is the most legendarily tight player ever.  He buys in for the minimum and nurses his stack like it is a wounded eagle.  If he limps in he has a very good hand.  If he calls a raise, he has a great hand.  If he calls a bet after the flop, he has the nuts.  Simple as that.  Also, he has a very bad temper when he loses a hand (after waiting all night for the nuts).  So, this hand came up:  I limped in with AJ, he limped in with 8/8.  The flop had both an Ace and an 8.  It was checked to me in late position and I put in around an $8.  bet.  He calls.  Rut Row, thinking my kicker is no good at this point (which it definitely was not).  However, the turn is an excellent card for me (I think) a jack, giving me aces up.  I bet larger this time (probably 20).  He calls for all of his chips...remember he buys short, so he had only about $8.  We turn over our cards  and I get the bad news.  The river, halleluja brings another ace for my Aces full over his 8's full!  This also wins me the high hand for the hour, which unfortunately is no longer $399, but only $100.  I split with my buddy Ron on a 75/25 and then they bring me the dreaded IRS form to fill out.  I have gone over $600 for the year and will be taxed!!!

Later, the super tight couple leaves only to be replaced by a younger super tight couple.  As opposed to the other couple, I like this one, so not so happy to bust the wife with my raise of her two pair bet with my flush draw.  With only $30 behind I was o.k. to gamble.  Would have folded if she had a bigger stack.  That brings me to the discussion of short stack vs. big stack play.  Big stacks seem to always have more gamble whether they bought the chips or won them.  Short stack play has some pluses, like being able to chase draws very cheap when all-in but cannot maximize earnings with big hands.  Overall I like the strategy of having a deep stack in a cash game but playing pretty tight.

Bottom line on my game:  Bought in for $100, cashed out for $296 after giving Ron his $25.  A good night of poker.

http://www.pokerology.com/lessons/playing-tight-players/

4 comments:

7 Dewey said...

So you were playing with R and MT and HT? I bet I'm right. Didn't know you were in town. Hope I will see you this weekend. I'm definitely playing the 10am on Sunday. May also play the 2 little ones on Saturday.

I played the 3-20 last Wednesday for the first time in forever. I bought in for $120 and left with $410. Looks like we are both doing something right.

I'm laughing right now thinking of R's face when you got the bigger full house. LOL!!

7 Dewey said...

On second thought, maybe the first tight couple was E and his wife and the second tight couple was MT and HT. I like HT but MT irritates me a bit. I hate the fact that HT just jumps up and leaves when MT does.

By the way - filling out the dreaded tax form means you are winning - sort of.

Phil said...

Yep, exactly right on the players. Funny how we know that.

Don Yarbrough said...

Too bad about the magazine folding, it was a good run. So now you have to come to Phoenix more often.

Don