Sunday, December 21, 2014

2 Bad Beats, 2 Poker Chips & a Plate of Christmas Cookies

After spending a day in Portland & 2 days in Seattle, I barely made it back to the beach in time for the American Legion tournament last night.  I blew all of my cash during the trip and had to borrow a twenty from my daughter to enter the tournament.  Luckily, I had $21 waiting for me from my last dealing so no longer in debt.  Even though I was sooooo tired from the drive, decided to sign up for table 2 dealing.  They are having lots of trouble getting dealers (I like it...almost free poker) and could have dealt table 1 for 50% of tips but didn't want to stay if knocked out early.  That almost happened.  We were at the 100/200 blind level when the short stack next to me (had him covered by 2, $100 chips) shoved.  I called with JJ and was happy to see 99 against me.  Ooops, forgot that I suck as a dealer for myself delivering him his 2 outer in the door.


Now the short stack at the table with blinds going up to 200/400 next hand, I called a shove, re-shove, and overcall with my J/9 suited in this "volume" pot.  Faced with a small pair, and a couple of over-cards in the other 2 hands I managed to nail a jack on the river to quadruple up.  Nice.  Later I would get involved with another shove with KJ suited and triple up plus some (blinds) when I hit my king.  Managed to go from 2 chips and a chair to the final table with above average stack of around 7,000.


I lost a third of my chips on a ridiculous hand.  AQ biggest stack raises, I call with 4/4, then another player shoves and we both call.  With one all in, the flop is small, but no 4 and the big stack bets big.  I look at him, think for a while, then say "I hope you are not bluffing into a dry pot".  I then fold face-up.  He turns over AQ for no pair, while the all-in shows K/7, and a pair of 7's.  The river of course delivers an ace and the player is down but the whole table gets after the big stack.  He is an idiot we surmise.  Later, he shoves with 6/6 and is called by a bigger stack who has AK.  His small pair survives and the big stack now has exactly as many chips as me, 2500.  He is small blind, I am big blind at the 600/1200 blind level.  Surprisingly, it is folded to us and he shoves, as I expect having just lost most of his chips and probably on tilt.  I have enough to fold and get through the blinds, but we are all in the money with 5 players remaining and I look down to see....A/6.  While not my favorite calling hand on a shove I figure to be ahead of the tilted one....who coincidentally is the one who got lucky earlier with his 9/9 against me!  I call and shit....he has K/K.  Oh well, but karma is a sneaky bitch and an ace hits the door!  Nice.  I only have to dodge a king or running hearts as he has the king of hearts and there are 2 hearts on the flop.  What was I saying about karma?  Running hearts has me running for the door in 5th place for a $77 win (plus $31 in tips, less $5. tip for a $73. net win).  Plus I collected a plate of Christmas cookies from the tournament organizer, Mary, as I headed for home.


4 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Goodness! That was a most interesting tournament and cookies to boot! Yum!

I must tell you that I have the absolute WORST luck. I had a decent chip stack on Sunday. Blinds were 300-600 and I had over 9,000. They broke the first table and Jimmer was one of the people seated at ours.

I found KK on the button and raised to 1800. Jimmer was in the big blind and moved all-in for just over 5,000. Gak. I had to call. He had A-K and of course he hit his ace right on the flop. More than half my chips were gone.

I did not find any more hands and was down to nothing (1200) when I got AA. Naturally, I put my meager stack in there and get 3 other callers. Jimmer (AGAIN) goes all-in over the top to isolate me. He has QQ. Who hits a queen ON THE FRICKING river??? You get one guess.

Lord I'm giving up for the rest of the year. Hope you have a great holiday.

Phil said...

Comment on the comment. Dewey, you have horrible luck (reminds me of me), however, take solace in the fact that you got your money in with the best hands and remember that Jimmer is a luckbox. Have a nice holiday season.

7 Dewey said...

Thanks for the comment. I guess I'm just jealous because I'm rarely a luck box - LOL. I'm still taking the rest of the year off. I may not play again until April in Pendleton.

Don Yarbrough said...

I can't believe your playing for cookies! Not bad play for someone half a sleep and dealing.