Sunday, March 2, 2014

Victory Snatched


First a quote from Conan the Barbarian:

"What is good in life.  To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!"

 I really can't go into detail about Friday tournament (flopped set, opponent with overpair runner runner straight), or Friday night Omaha (victim of set over set, other nasty stuff).  My tournament life is in the dumper and only by eking out small wins in the cash game do I remain solvent.  Saturday lost early in both tournaments and Sunday, the big one, took a very nasty beat from a luckbox.  He had already hit a gutshot on the river and a one outer trips (I had the other 6), and had knocked out 3 players.  This hand came up with me at $4100 and 200/400 blinds.  I was in the big blind with A/9 suited, he was next to me also with a big blind due to a knockout.  There were two limpers and he raised to I believe 1200.  Everyone called.  The flop was my dream, 9/9/8.  I checked to the raiser and he bet big....4000.  Everyone folded to me and I snap called telling the dealer, "If I win this hand you will be my new favorite dealer".  When he rivered a jack (he had J/J), she lost her chance to be my favorite.  Man I hate this game.

I turned to the cash game and won some hands, then lost big with a flopped set of jacks to a rivered straight, lost another big pot with kings (I folded to Anh on a board of J/Q/9/8), but later tried something I had been wanting to do against him.  Small pot multi-way in the small blind with crap, everyone checked the coordinated board to the river and he bet $10 on the button.  I check raised him $20 and he folded.  I have been suspecting theft for a long time with him and this confirmed it.

Anyway, won a few hands and cashed out a $47 winner....almost enough to replace my $60 buy-in from the tournament.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That was a sick loss against Ricky and his JJ. Need I remind you he did have the best hand to start with? Oh, I'm just evil for bringing that up. Sorry.

As for An, he plays his position really well and will almost always bet if he's last to act with no action in front of him. I need to play back at him a lot more. Good job on that. See you later this week sometime.