Saturday, March 22, 2014

Karmic Justice Thursday








When you reach the money at a final table, I always try to err on the side of generosity.  For one thing, I have been the bubble boy too many times to count, so tossing the bubble his original buy-in always sits well with me.  Not everyone feels this way.  On the Thursday morning tournament, we were down to 5 players, with 3 places being paid.  All of the stacks were pretty even, I had maybe a couple of blinds more than 2nd place.  The suggestion was made to chop 5 ways for around $125 each.  One player refused.  Rut row, watch out Karma.  It did not take long before he got all of his chips in against me.  I was playing 4/5 suited (spades) in the unraised big blind.  He was on the button with A/9 spades.  The flop was two spades and a 6.  With my flush draw I bet 2500 (blinds were 500/1000).  He flat called.  The turn was a non-spade 7.  I now had an open ended straight draw plus the flush draw (that I didn't know was no good), plus 2 live cards.  I thought that I had 17 outs, so I shoved.  He called and the river brought a non-spade 5 and he was gone.  Poker Karma at its finest.

We played for a short time and I won several pots.  With everyone outchipped maybe 4 to one, Tom suggested I take first and they split the rest for around $110 each.  Everyone agreed and I took the $290 first place money.  Sweet.  

No comments: