Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bad Table Change

Sometimes in a tournament you are just flat out sitting in a golden seat.  It was like that Friday night at the American Legion tournament.  We had more players than normal (39), so there were four tables.  I drew table 3, which I liked because my friend Mike was dealing.  I usually get good cards on his watch.  There was a big raiser two to my right, and my friend John, an excellent player immediately to my right.  Nice seat.  The new player kept over-raising every pot....making it 350 with blinds at 20/40 for example.  As Annie Duke said, that puts too much pressure on your hand.  So, true to form, he raised to 250 and I looked at 6/6.  With another caller, went ahead and tossed my chips in.  The flop was a dream for me, 3/3/6.  His continuation bet of 300 was flat called by me, and other players folded.  Heads up, in position, with the overfull I was very comfortable raising to 700 when he bet the brick turn (maybe a 10).  After he tanked for a moment, he then called.  The river was absolutely the worst possible card for me...another 3.  Now I can't beat any pocket pair 7's or greater.  I was grateful when he checked, and I checked behind as there is no value in betting as most of the hands that could call me have me beat.  He mucked his hand and later told me he was on a flush draw.  Would have been awesome if he had hit it.

Later I flopped a set of kings and won a nice pot from the kid to my left playing AJ against my preflop raise and a flop of K/J/x.  He posted the high hand of the night a few hands later, queen high straight flush, good for $78 at the end of the evening.

When the 4th table broke we redrew seats and I moved to table 2 with Jeff dealing.  As hot as my other seat was, this was as cold.  I played few hands, and with the blinds moving up to 200/400, and only 10 big blinds, I raised two UTG with J/10 suited.  Everyone folded to the big blind, a short stack, who reraised a couple of hundred with 6/6.  He doubled up when he hit a 6 on the flop...and I even nailed my hand with a J on the flop and 10 on the river.

Now very short, shoved the next hand with A/6 suited, knocking out the big blind who called her short stack with 9/4.

The hand that pissed me off was Terry, a very loose player who flat called his very short stack with 9/9 on the button.  The dealer called the small blind with 6/9 offsuit.  The flop was jack high and checked around.  Rather than shoving, Terry checked to the river, where the dealer made a straight, bet, and Terry called off the rest of his chips.  Horrible.  What was bad was that with his newfound wealth, the dealer started catching big cards, raising, and winning pots.   That set him up for raising light with A/7 offsuit, finding me with 8/8.  I was too short stacked to push him off the hand, so I flat called hoping for more players and more chips in the pot.  The flop was A/x/x, all spades.  I checked my hand and saw the 8 spades.  Jeff bet big, and I called with the thought that an 8 (which would not be a spade), or a spade might win it.  When he tabled his hand, he had the 7 spades.  Great.  Except another spade did not come and I was out.

I looked at the stats on this and here is the news:

Preflop:  I was almost a 3/1 favorite (71% to 29%)
Flop:    He was a 60%/ favorite

Never a huge dog.  Just can't hit 10 outs twice.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think table changes in tournaments are my least favorite thing. Patience and table changes are the bane of my existence. I just try to remember my mantra - I can only do what I can do. All you can ever do is play your best.