Thursday, December 5, 2013

Profitable but Unenjoyable

Last night's cash game was painful and marginally profitable.  Mistakes were made that cost me high hand (bet the sole opponent off hand with AK on a flop of AA5.  He bet the flop when I checked, so I called.  On the turn a 10 hit, so thinking I did not want to give a free card that could fill a straight, or fill up a pocket pair, I bet $20.  He folded and the dealer did a rabbit hunt and showed me that I would have hit quads for high hand.  Crap!

The thing that made it painful was not the money, I ended up $101., but it was a loud and obnoxious player.  I even moved to get farther away from him.  Good seat choice, Hendler took the seat and hit quads.  The player was told by the floor to quit talking about an incident (you know the player and the incident...it involved two former employees).  I offended my as I liked the dealers and really dislike playing with this guy.  His final hand that I saw, he bluffed a side pot with 7 high.  The all-in player was an idiot and folded his hand before showdown.  Unbelievable.

Today's morning Moose made the final table but Ali kept snapping me.  I shove with A/J on an ace high flop, he calls with A/4.  The board pairs twice, first the ace then a 9 so we chop.  I shove heads up in blinds with AK suited, he calls with 4/4.  I hit an ace on the flop, pick up the nut flush draw on the turn, then he rivers a 4, but not the 4 of diamonds.  Player down.  Unbelievable.

Moving to the cash game, I play tight until picking up K/K under the gun.  I limp to encourage raisers or plan to bet big if the flop does not contain an ace.  The button makes it 7 to go, Hai calls, and I re-raise to $27.  They both call.  The flop is 9/2/2, I bet $20, the raiser re-raises, Hai calls, I re-raise, he re-raises all in and Hai folds.  I call and see the bad news, pocket 9's.

Moving to the main table, I again get snapped kings, this time with Aaron and Joe in the hand.  Flop is 3/9/J as I remember.  I bet $20, they both call.  turn is another 3, I bet $20, both call.  River is a queen. I check, Joe checks, and Aaron bets $20.  We both call, he has 8/10 for the straight, Joe has trip 3's.  Kings probably cost me over $150 today.

I manage to eke out a $47 profit for the session.   

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Regarding the "incident" - I believe I know who the dealers are, but I don't think I ever heard about the incident as people never tell me anything.

I am not a big fan of KK or even AA in the cash game & try to play all big pairs fairly conservatively so as to not lose the proverbial shirt.

Ali and Hai are both luck boxes and Hai is simply a bad player. She gets on my nerves. I can handle Ali. I like him and I think he plays well most of the time.

Hope to see you tomorrow at the Moose. Playing both tournaments.