Saturday, November 30, 2013

Flushed Away






Getting ready to play in the Legion tournament tonight I played several sit 'n goes online.  In almost all of them I was flushed away after flopping very strong hands, sets, straights, top/top, etc.  The gamblers won every time, even if it required runner runner to do it.  The last tournament took the cake.  I had ace/king in the big blind while the UTG player raised to 4 times the blinds.  Two other players called, I called and the flop was 4/4/x.  As first to act, I shoved with a small stack and the UTG called while the others folded.  Amazingly, he had A/4 suited and even caught the case 4 on the river. 

Tournament Update

I was expecting a large turnout for the Friday tournament with it being a holiday weekend.  I called in my reservation early and even volunteered to deal table 2 or 3, anticipating 4 full tables.  It was surprising to me that only 19 players showed up.  So, dodging the dealing responsibility got to focus on playing well.  Really unremarkable cards, no big hands for me or anyone else (high hand was won by AAAJJ with the winning hand A/3...there is no requirement to play both cards....he had to be asked to table his hand to post it on the board).  Basically just tried to stay out of trouble and ended up as a short stack on the final table.  Totally card dead, I just let bigger stacks get knocked out and ended up shoving 3 or 4 times and surviving.  With so few players, we paid 4 places (plus bubble).  Managed to finish in 3rd place for a $116 win ($66 after tip and buy-in).  My last hand was a shove with J/J called by the biggest stack with KQ.  They hit the queen on the flop and the king on the turn.  An ace was on the flop, but no miracle 10 or J on the river.

Big Pairs vs. Connectors

I noticed last night that big pairs were not doing well.  One player knocked out with KK vs. A/6, another with QQ vs AK, 10/10 fell to KJ, my JJ to KQ, and there were others.  The lesson learned is that a big pair is only one pair and seldom (once out of 7.5 times) improves to a set, while overcards can win as a pair, and any two cards can make two pair or if connected and/or suited do well as two pair, straight, or flush.  I am seriously rethinking my poker strategy about the hands I am choosing to play against raises.

Keeping Track of Poker Wins

Started recording my poker wins and losses this month.  It is a good practice for both discipline, honesty, and even possibly for taxes (if you can show a loss to offset monte carlo wins).



This is kind of hard to read, but total is $694 net win.  My goal was to earn $1800, but with limited opportunities here on the coast that did not happen.

No comments: