Saturday, November 23, 2013

First Hand Last Hand Amazing Flops



Sometimes the deck just bops you on the head big time.  Last night at the Legion I was fortunate enough not to deal, that freed me up to concentrate on playing poker.  I was a little unhappy about my table draw at first.  Seated in the one seat was a calling station, seat 2 a loose cannon bluffer, seat 3 one of my "nemeses" a loose calling station, seat 4 a calling station, me in 5, a tight player in 6, a wild man good player who has a high bluffing frequency in 7, and the dealer a good tight solid player.  Like I say, kind of a mix and somewhat tough player. 

The very first hand in the tournament I limped in late position with 2/2.  To my surprise, the dealer, a very solid player raised out of the big blind to $125 (blinds were 10/20).  Despite his show of strength, 2 calling stations did what they do best and I called being priced in and in position in the cutoff.  The flop was a monster, 2/2/3 with 2 clubs.  Having flopped the immortals, when the dealer bet $200 and another limper called, I just called.  The turn was interesting, an offsuit 4.  The dealer bet $300 and the limper called.  The river was the gin card for me, the 5 of clubs, completing both a straight and a flush (also a straight flush if you want to see monsters under the bed).  The dealer bet $200, the limper raised to $500 and I pulled the trigger for the all-in bet.  The dealer sighed, mucked his hand (pocket aces), and the limper (my nemesis) thought for a moment, said "I could be going home first again" ....as an aside, he was first out Wednesday night at another tournament.  I replied, "Well, if you call, one of us will".  When he called, showing the A/5 of clubs, I said, "looks like you will".  I proudly posted the high hand of the night (worth $48, as it would hold up) and the player started counting his chips....duh, first hand, we all had the same number.

Making the final table, never really getting too much beyond my stack after the first hand, I was able to make it into 4th place for $100.  My last hand played...going along with the amazing flops theme, I went all in from the small blind with 7000 into the 2nd chip leader who had been doubling up folks (and knocking them out) with his dumb calls and bets the whole time.  He paused momentarily and I thought reluctantly called with his K/10 for about 1/4 of his stack.  I had A/6.  In retrospect I should have just folded or limped (reraising all in if he raised) due to the extreme short stack with only 1.5 big blinds sitting next to me.  However, the difference between 3rd and 4th was only $37????, so I like to go for the win.  The flop was amazing you ask?  K/K/10.  Player down.   

 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Gotta love the deweys!! What a fun first hand. It's too bad another great flop knocked you out. At least you made some money. Good job. Nice high hand too.