Sunday, December 22, 2013

Quitting Time




One of the main leaks in many player's game is staying too long either after they get stuck, or when they are up is staying too long in the game.  They either give back their winnings or get stuck further, seldom "getting even".  So, that begs the question, when do we quit?  In my experience, if I buy in for a reasonable amount, say 10 times the big bet ($200 in a 2/20 game), a good time to quit is if I have at least doubled my buy in, or at maximum, tripled it.  My experience is that I seldom continue running up my winnings to more than 4 times the buy in, and often lose back part of the winnings.

They say that you should not quit a good game, that is, one where there are lots of contributors and you are running good.  I say that the game often turns quickly on you and it is just too easy to give back winnings.

On the other side of the coin is the question when to cut your losses.  If I am "min-buying" in to the 2/20 game for $100 or $120, I am willing to lose the initial buy and reload at least once and sometimes twice.  If it is a good game and I am just getting very unlucky but playing well and getting good cards 3 times is acceptable.  I have found that few times am I able to come back from 4 buy-ins to break even, let alone show a profit.

So there you have it.  What is your "threshold of pain"?  What do you call a good win?

  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

As you well know, I never have any clue as to when to quit. I just love redistributing my wealth I guess. As a general rule, I usually buy-in for $200 and that's it. I almost never rebuy. One of my New Year resolutions will be to have a lot more discipline. Wish me luck. Hope you and the family had a great holiday. I had the flu. No fun at all.