Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Would It Be Too Much to Ask?

Would it be too much to ask to get just a little luck sometimes?  Playing in the "Morning Moose", hereafter to be referred to as the "MM", I started off very well, with K/K as my first hand.  I raised and am re-raised by an older player who was playing for the first time.  This can spell trouble, so I just flat called.  The flop was low, and the player bet out.  I raised and he called.  Turn brought a 10, he checked, I bet, he folded.  Good start.

Making the final table, with blinds at 300/600, I had about 4000 in chips.  Recognizing that I am now a short stack, I raised to 1800 UTG, with K/Q off-suit.  I am re-raised, all-in, by a player who I have covered by 700.  I call.  He shows A/J, so I am behind, but live cards.  Flop is awesome, with queen high.  My joy is quickly squashed when an ace hits on the turn.

Now in the big blind for all but $100, a player goes all-in, another player comes over the top of him, the small blind calls for all of his chips, and I discover 7/7.  I call.  With everyone in, we turn over our cards and as expected, I am the only one with a pair.  But, there is a minefield out there, with nearly every face card represented, A/10, A/Q, K/3 (really, small blind?).  The turn is 6/x/3, turn 6, river 3.  The side pot is taken by A/Q, the K/3 takes the main pot.  Sick. 

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

The small blind was stupid. That's all there is to it. Playing live tonight? I take it you are sticking to tournaments per your last blog or the one before that. I will play MM Saturday at 10 if my driving grandkids around allows for it. Also the Sunday 10 for sure. Better luck in the next one!!

7 Dewey said...

I meant to say that I am playing live tonight, but I guess I was asking also. I'm tired.