Sunday, September 8, 2013

I Am So Upset...I Am Going to the Moose

Before I get into my poker bad beats (2 involving trip queens), I have a marvelous story to tell you.  Playing in the cash game today, an older tournament regular lady calls a fairly good sized bet preflop.  On the flop, heads up, she checks to him and he grabs a stack of red chips and she immediately folds her hand.  He then throws two white chips across the line.  I laugh out loud, and say "good one, man".  She then rips into me, and the dealer, as she claims he moved all the chips over the line, which he definitely did not.  They argued for a while, I just shut up and listened.

 
 
 
(YOU MUST CLICK THE ABOVE LINK...  after reading below....YOU WILL LOL, LMAO, ROLF)


After a bit, she went broke, as she nearly always does, and as she left, came over to me, laid her hand on my shoulder and said, "You were very rude to me, and I am emotionally upset anyway today.  You probably did not know that my mother just died".  I apologized, saying of course I had no way of knowing that.  After she left I commented that "now I have heard everything at the poker table".  She was so full of grief that she......came down to the Moose and played poker.......Good Grief!!!!  I thought the story was so funny that I called my own mother and told her about it, reassuring her that I will be rending my clothing and be too grief stricken to get out of bed when she passes.  She assured me that she would not interrupt her bridge game for me, and that I probably would play poker.  Good to know that compassion runs deep in the family.

Golf joke:  A foursome is playing when a funeral procession passes by the golf course.  One of the players pauses, takes off his hat and bows his head for a moment.  One of the other players asks if he knew the deceased.  He replies, "We were married for over 40 years".

Now to the beats.  Have been continuing my success in getting to the final table, including the deepstack on Friday night, and two Saturday tournaments.  Finally broke my streak today, going out with 3 tables still full.  The hands I busted out on Friday and today were very similar.  Friday we were down to 7 players, I was sitting good, 3rd in chips with about $60,000 or so.  With blinds at 1/2000, I checked my option in the big blind with one limper and the small blind completing.  I had Q/10.  The flop was awesome, Q/Q/7 with 2 clubs.  Not wanting to give a club draw good chasing odds, I bet 10,000 after the small blind checked to me.  The limper folded and the small blind called.  We had been sitting together the entire tournament, and were friendly.  He was the only player not willing to chop as someone had suggested.  I took him for kind of a tournament rooky as he said he didn't get much chance to play.  After my bet, and his call, he commented something about a flush draw.  Obviously, I am never betting a flush draw here so I assumed that he might be on one.  The turn brought a harmless 2, and he checked again.  I then bet 20,000 and he went into the tank, muttering about flush draws.  I thought he was going to fold but instead he went all in.  He was one of the two players having me covered.  I reasoned that there is no way he had a better kicker or he would not have tanked.  I called.  He turned over Q/5 offsuit.  Awesome.  When I win this hand, will have over 1/3 of all chips in play.  River is a 5 and I am gone.  Unbelievable.

Fast forward to today.  I am on a wild table.  A player doubles up the very first hand on a flush draw...A/9 vs. K/9 suited on a 9 high flop.  He hits his flush and doubles up.  We later have back to back AA vs. KK all-ins which result in 2 eliminations.  I short stack with KK vs J/9 on a 7/8/10 flop.  The table is a nightmare of match ups.  The big stack double up loses with KK vs AK vs JJ when the 3 way all-in flop is J/J/X.  Very sick indeed.

My hand is Q/9 suited on the button against a 200 bet (blinds 50/100) with 2 callers in front of me.  The flop is Q/Q/x, and when the original bettor checks, followed by one player, the other bets fairly large, maybe 1800.  Without giving it enough thought, I re-raise all-in.  One of the players comments, "guess you are sorry you bet", he responds, "Nope, I call" as he turns over K/Q.  I, unlike my lucky friend on Friday, am unable to find my 3 outer 9 on the river and am eliminated.  Where the heck is karma hiding out?

End of the day financial report:  Tournament buy-in  $60, Free play win $15, Cash game win, $100, net win for the day $55.

Way to go Lynne!!!  Winner-winner, chicken dinner.


           

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Yum! Makes me want to eat chicken for dinner. I wrote a little on my blog about the Sunday tournament.

I'm curious as to who the lady was? Donna? Mary Ann? I must know. By the way, I like your mom - LOL.

My advice is to only queen hands such as QQ, AQ and KQ. That's it. Then if stupid stuff happens on the other player's part, you will at least feel you went all-in with the best hand 95% of the time. I hope. Maybe you should just ignore them altogether for awhile. The ladies don't seem to like you right now (except me - ha ha). Hope you have a good week. I will not be playing again until the MM on Saturday. Need a break.