Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Overfull vs. Underfull

 
The screenshot above is the best example I have seen for a while about the perils of under-full vs. over-full.  The player in the 1 seat has 4's full of 10's, the 2 seat has queens full of 10's, while the 5 seat has 10's full of queens.  You don't see many of these full over full over fulls, but as you can see by the pot size of $754 in a 10/20 game, it can be expensive with raises and re-raises the whole way with 2 flopped boats and one rivered one (the one seat flopped trips with a good kicker, then hit his set of 4's to fill up on the river). 
 
The other idiot, the guy in the 4 seat, kept calling with his open ended draw till he ran out of money.   I fold straight and flush draws if the board is paired, my cards always show on a replay screen save which is why you see them.  These types of hands are very difficult to fold, and most of us will not, particularly since some players are absolute idiots or geniuses and will ram and jam with two pair, flushes, straights and low draws.  Sometimes you just have to lose your money, but I have learned to fold these with multiple players jamming.
 

Here is another example of a huge pot with full over full.  Notice that SGTDANA flopped two pair.  His fate was sealed when I flopped a set of aces as he was drawing dead except to running 4's or 10's.  I never lose any sleep (anymore) when I flop the best possible full house and lose to quads.  Shit happens.  Also take note of hand selection.  I have a pair of aces with a nut flush draw, but otherwise barely playable hand.  The other player is starting with 3 high cards and a "dangler", the 4.  Even though the 3 cards are connected, which is great in Omaha, they are the same suite, which reduces the odds of getting the flush, which you can also note he would lose to me with my ace high spades.  His hand is one that I would lose no more than a big blind, as I would fold it pre-flop in any other position.  Big blind, I call one bet with the two pair, but check and call the under-full to the river.  Two pair in Omaha virtually never wins, and even if you fill up, this can happen.  I am learning to fold two pair to aggressive betting as it usually means a set, a made straight or draw, a made flush or draw, or low hand (or draw), that will make it very expensive to win a half of a pot.  There are just so many better spots to get your money in.
 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Danger Will Robinson!! The top board reminded me of the first time I hit quads over at the old Celebrity Bowl in Kennewick. I had only been playing for a couple of months and Roland was actually the dealer. I had pocket 10s and my main adversary had QQ. The flop was basically identical to your screen shot and the betting was fast & furious. The quad 10s was good for a $750 Monte Carlo & I shoved Roland the pot (it was a 3-6 game). Thanks for the memory!!