Sunday, August 11, 2013

Exceptions to the "no cash game rule"

Every rule should have an exception, right?  I have been determined this week to play only in tournaments and stay the hell away from the Moose cash game.  Mission sort of accomplished.  Played in 3 tournaments Friday (8 & 10 a.m. Moose, then the 3:00 Jokers).  Made the final table all three times, but only got money bubble $40 at Joker's.  What was bad, was that they chopped after I was eliminated for $240 each.  The hand I lost was K7 on the button, flop was K/10/7.  Small bet from SB there is a flush draw, I shove, he calls with K/10.  How sick is that?  The worst part was that I stayed in the tournament so long that I lost my seat in the Omaha game.  Fearing that I would not get a seat....and yes I know this is a cash game.....was ready to leave but stayed and chatted with a player that I had not seen for a while.  Then a seat opened up and bought in for $200.  The usual suspects were playing, Dougie Fresh, old Bob, my friend Bob, Matt the dealer, Evan, and a couple of others I recognized.  I lost about $20 early on, but from there it was nothing but win.  The manager, Steve, even commented, "Getting any flops you like Phil?"  Oh yeah.  Draws came in, I folded early when beaten, scooped several....which is key in high/low....too many chops are really bad.  Long story short, I broke several players and broke the game when I left with 6 full racks of chips.  Excellent session of poker, and covered all tournament buy-in losses for the week.

Saturday played in only 2, the 8 a.m. & 10 am moose.  We chopped the 8 o'clock 6 ways for $70 each, and I just missed cashing the 10 o'clock.

Finally, Sunday a.m. moose, I am playing well but not getting anywhere.  Missed a huge pot when Donna shoved $1900 with A/10 on a Q/10/x board.  I made the mistake of calling her instead of re-raising all-in with my K/J.  The action got to Marco who shoved about $4500 more.  A call on my draw would have cost me all but about 1500 of my stack, placing me on life support.  I considered calling for two reasons:  first the $10 bounties, second, I owed Marco a bad beat from my last visit.  I put out of my head that revenge idea and focused on the financial.  I knew they both had gotten a chunk of the flop (Marco had Q/10), and figured that keeping a decent stack was more important than the other considerations.  However, I did not consider that winning the pot would propel me to the top chips on the table and a great shot at winning.  I folded.  The turn was no help, the river brought the ace and Donna tripled up, hurting Marco.  Opportunity missed.

My last hand was at the 300/600 level.  I was on the button and there were 2 limpers, including Gary sitting in the cutoff next to me.  With 2100 in the pot and my stack at 4200, I find pocket 8's.  There was no hesitation on my shove.  Everyone folded to Gary, who commented that he thought I was stealing.  I assured him that I had a "real hand" but he called with his Q/J offsuit.  The flop brought k/k/Q and I could not catch a two outer.  This was the first tournament this week that I did not make the final table, and the second one that I lost with a race where I started with a pocket pair.

Final weekly tally (leaving tomorrow morning):  Played freaking 8 tournaments, final table on 7, two small cashes, total investment loss:  $255 buy ins, less $110 cash, $20 free play wins, net:  $125 loss.
Cash game:  $397 win.  Total net win for the week $272 for about 20 hours of play.  Better than minimum wage.  With just a couple of breaks it would have been double that. 

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Well it looks like you & I should stick to tournaments for the most part, although Omaha is definitely your game.

See my blog for how I did in the cash game.

It was nice to see you even if it was only for 5 minutes - LOL.

7 Dewey said...

I like "Sometimes a Great Notion" too although most of the time the image I get is of what's-his-name stuck & drowning in the log jam. Ick. But, you know, what's not to like about Paul Newman? And then there's the whole scene with the arm. Or was it a leg? Jeez, I can't remember. Sheesh. I guess I'll have to get it on Netflix or something so I can enjoy it again.