Saturday, March 9, 2013

R E S P E C T find out what it means to me



A friend made a comment about my game that made me think.  He said that he didn't think I "respected" players raises enough.  That may be true.  However, in the loosey goosey games at the Crazy Moose it is sometimes difficult to summon much respect.  If I know the player well, there is a good chance I will respect his raise, however some players raise so light that it is hard not to call them.  The unknown player is the tough one.  Some are very bad players who will raise from a blind with a very wide range.  In general, if a player raises from the blinds or UTG I will show respect if he plays halfway sanely.

This afternoon I was playing with someone I have never seen before.   He open raised for $7 in early position.  Miguel called, and I re-raised to $27 with K/K, the original guy re-raised to $47.  Miguel folded and I called.  The flop was queen high and he bet, I called.  The turn and river blank, he bet $20, I called for the rest of my chips.  He had A/A.  Now here is a situation where I have half my money in pre-flop, so am pot committed.  Some players will play AK or AQ that hard, as well as semi-bluffing with JJ.  So, anyway that was just a cooler.

On a positive note, placed in the top 3 on my table for the freeroll.  18 of us will play tomorrow for the $5000 total prizes.  They are paying top 6 only, so will need to run good.  Today I got super lucky on one hand that would have eliminated me.  Raised with AJ and ran into AK.  Spiked a jack on the turn and made a key double up.  You really have to get lucky in these things to win.  Speaking of luck, the last hand on our table, the chip leader raised with KJ on the button, the short stacked small blind re-raised all-in with QQ.  The flop was A/Q/10, all diamonds.  So, flopped straight vs. flopped set.  Turn was K of diamonds, giving the big stack a royal flush with his jack of diamonds.  Unreal.

No comments: