Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Minimum Wage Job (or Why Do The Worst Poker Players Win?)





I have adapted a new attitude about my dealing job at the American Legion Tournament.  It is like a minimum wage job, but a little better because there are no taxes withheld, but it requires a donation equal to the amount you are paid.  Yesterday I had the honor of dealing table 1, the final table, which meant I was in for 4 hours of dealing whether or not I was eliminated early.  With 4 tables of play, that meant a split of 40% of total tips to me, 30% to 2nd table, 20% to 3rd, and 10% to 4th.  More later on the tips.

I performed some feats of derring-do for the appreciation of the audience, including twice putting an underpair as the door card on all-ins, with the additional trick of putting the overpair's card as the 3rd card on the flop.   Set over set twice....sweet.  I was also able to rescue several short stacks with miracle runners, and chip up lucky players time after time.  It is good to be me some days.

Eliminated a few hands short of the final table got the treat of having several of the other dealers watching my every move, correcting one error in pushing a pot (two pair counterfeited), and also having them incorrectly awarding the pot, which I gleefully pointed out their error.

The final table consisted of nearly every calling station on earth, including a massive stack who was playing her first ever tournament.  I was involved in one hand with her, which took about a fourth of my stack....she called my 3x big blind bet (she was the BB) with her J3 sooooted (I had AJ), a 3 flopped and I was wise enough...due to observing her call to the river with any pair....to check it down and only lose my initial bet.  Probably the best player at my table lost a huge chunk of chips to her trying to bluff 3-barrel.  This is a guy who plays in the WSOP, so that brings me to my original title.  Why do the worst players win?  The answer is simple.  Poker is a game of skill with a luck factor.  Less skillful players do not possess the skill, therefore they must rely on luck.  They do not realize that an under the gun raise signifies huge strength (most of the time...when it does not it signifies either colossal ignorance or colossal skill).  Therefore, they see no harm calling raises with hands that do not warrant a limp.  Anywho, the final table consisted of lucky bluffers and calling stations with a couple of good players.  The best player won, so there is some justice (he chipped up with an all-in that caught a case 10, or he was gone..kudos to me).

Back to the dealing job.  So, the bubble boy left with his buy-in.  O.k.  Then the 6th place left with a $27 profit....no tip to dealer, still o.k. with me, but I would have left....something!  5th place leaves with a $57 profit and leaves $10...very generous...thank you.  4th place (the rookie gal), just leaves with her $100 or so......no tip.....excusable being a rookie and all.  Total tip package was $99.  Easy to figure the split.  I was generous and gave table 4 the extra $1, and I got $39, one dollar short of my buy-in.  Minimum wage, no taxes, but had to pay $1 for the privelege.   

No comments: