Thursday, March 21, 2013

Least & Most

Been thinking a lot about my least favorite hands.  I am reaching a point where I will not play certain cards, even for just $1 more in the small blind with the whole table limping in.  Here are the hands:

Any hand containing a 4, with the possible exception of 3/4, 4/5, or 4/6 suited in position or small blind.  I will play pocket 4's, but honestly have lost far more than won with them, even flopping sets.

K/8     All kings may be played if suited, in small blind or on button
K/7
K/6
K/5
K/3
K/2

Q/8
Q/7
Q/6
Q/5
Q/3
Q/2

J/8
J/7
J/6
J/5
J/3
J/2

10/6
10/5
10/3
10/2

9/5
9/3
9/2

8/3
8/2

7/3
7/2 (yes Lynn)

6/2

A/7
A/6
All other weak aces unless suited, in position with no raises.


So, now you know I am basically not playing hands that will not make the "nuts", and yes I know that a freakshow flop can make any hand quads.

That out of the way, here are the hands that I love, and will usually play even against a raise if it is not a huge one:

Obviously, the big 4 pairs
A/K
A/Q
A/J
A/10 suited
K/Q
Q/J
J/10
9/10
8/9 suited
8/7 suited
6/7 suited

All other pairs are highly dependent on who raised, how many callers, my chip stack.  I will throw everything away below pocket 8's (and usually up to and including 10's) if there is a re-raise or my whole stack is in jeopardy.

Here are the hands I like, but try not to get married to, or am able to throw away against raises pre-lop:

K/J
K/10
Q/10
J/9

That is about it.  Had a great day today.  Played the 10 a.m. tournament and chopped 3 ways for $190 each.  Played a few hours this evening for a $210 profit.  Almost $400 total after buy-ins and dealer tip.  I could get used to this!!  Took exactly zero bad beats and that is the difference from the rest of the week.  My hands held up.

No comments: