Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Decisions

A very young poker player asked me for advice a few days ago. I thought for a while and came up with "always make good decisions". Elaborating a little bit I added, "this is also great advice for life". Poker, as in life, is ultimately about making more good decisions than bad ones while always operating with "incomplete information". We don't know the outcome because there are too many variables. What we do know are odds in poker and whether or not the bet is giving us correct ones or not. My friend Jim emailed me a few days ago and broke down the odds of chasing a flush heads up over 100 hands. It is a winning proposition, but only if you ignore the rake, drop, and toke. It then becomes a loser. Yet, how often do we see this happen? If the "EV", expected value = 0, then there is no benefit in playing.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That is definitely the best advice. My second favorite is "always go with your gut". This is especially helpful if you have woman's intuition to assist you. I really think more women should play simply because of that - LOL. Hope to see you this weekend.