Friday, April 29, 2011

Omaha Problem

I went to bed mulling over this particular hand.  In a 1/2 pot limit game with small stack of around 15 big blinds when I drew QQxx (don't recall other cards, but no low draw, so probably big cards to go with).  The flop was Q/4/5 and when one of the other limpers bet 4, I came over the top all in for 24 more.  Everyone else folded and he showed the 2/3xx for the open ended straight draw plus 2nd nut low draw.  The straight hit with a 6, the board failed to pair, and I was "felted".  My question is:  Was I right to push with the existing nuts and no back up plan?  I am thinking now that I could have flat called and if a small card or 6 failed to hit, then push with only the river to worry about, or just fold knowing I am playing for 1/2 the pot.  I have lost in the past when drawing to these types of hands while the made hand punishes me all the way.  Also, I was able to isolate the one drawing hand with my play.  It did not work out for me that time but not sure how I will play it next time.

This is a common theme in hold em as well.  Do you go for "pot control", or give the drawing hands insufficient odds to call.  It seems to me that it is highly dependent on the players involved.  There are many who will call with any draw for any amount.  Including gutshots, bottom pairs, low end straight draws, and weak flushes.  The question is, do you let them draw cheap, thus reducing your losses when they hit, or make them pay dearly for the lack of mathematical skills.  If I am playing against thinking players who can lay down a draw for the wrong price it is one thing.  If playing against the gambling type, I am thinking pot control might be better.  If I am playing against the gambling type who really likes to gamble (thinking some who like to jam with draws), it is another thing.  With the spread game I am thinking pot control since raises just improves the odds for the draws.  In no limit, or tournaments definitely think the big raise is called for.   

As a p.s., I ended up short buying twice more, but ended the session up winning one short buy (40) over my 3 buy ins.  The website is telling me I can no longer play for cash, but still lets me.  There will be issues if I ever need to cash out, just hoping the legalities get worked out before then.

No comments: