Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tournament Test For You Reader

The American Legion tournament last night felt like it was my tournament.  Condensing down to 2 tables I was in good shape with about 6,000 in chips when the following hand happened.  I am going to change up my format and ask you what you would do.

I was in early position when I was dealt JJ.  With blinds at 300/600 I raised to 1800 which represented a very strong hand, and probably pot committed.  The player on my immediate left (who chopped last week) and fancied himself a good player eyed my stack, counted his chips and moved all-in.  I tanked for a moment or two and......knowing this is a problem hand, but still a top 5 holding what do I do?  What would you do?

Now, here is when I am asking for your input.  Would you:

A.  Fold it with regret figuring you were in a coin flip situation at best and save your chips for another, better situation.
B.  Call, figuring that at this stage of the tournament it is best to "get big or go home" with only 7 big blinds remaining if you fold.
C.  Not put yourself in this position having pushed all in preflop with only 10 big blinds.

I will let you know my decision later, after I hear from you.

The following screen shot is from an online tournament this morning.

Playing in an Omaha Sit N Go tournament, the following hand came up.  We were 4 handed with the tournament paying 3 places.  I bet on the flop, getting the call from 2 pair with my set of 4's, which p.s., I almost didn't play because sets of 4's can cost you a lot of money.  On the turn, I checked my quads and he bet.  On the river, all the chips got in the pot ( I was chip leader).  Gotta love it when he thinks his overfull is ahead.  I went on to win the tournament.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Personally, in early position with 10 big blinds left and the blinds coming up, I would have shoved with JJ. Obviously, you didn't do this because you said you raised, so I'm curious to find out if you folded or went all-in and what the outcome was. I hope it was good!

7 Dewey said...

P.S. Thanks for your comments on my K-K against Bobby Petty's A-A. There was only me and one guy behind me and I just didn't think he would move all-in with aces in that position. As it turned out, he got many more chips than he would have if I hadn't had such a big hand. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?