Saturday, February 26, 2011

Playing Poorly

Yesterday I could not cash in any game. After reviewing my hands decided that I was playing very poorly and making horrible decisions. An example that turned out well for me, but still a bad decision. The very first hand of a SNG with about 2 limpers and me in the BB with AK offsuit, the button shoves all in. Keep in mind that there is less than $50 in this pot. I call, he has Q/8 offsuit. We both catch air and I double up. You might think this is sweet, but in my opinion it would have been a better fold. I was probably looking at a coin toss most of the time and better to fold all hands but kings or aces here.

My biggest problem yesterday seemed to be betting into strength too much. If I raised preflop with pocket 10's and there is an overcard on the flop (as there will be 60-70% of the time) you are usually behind if you C-bet and are called. Continuing to bet is bleeding chips.

Another problem is not analyzing the river carefully enough after betting the flop and turn. An example today was betting the flop with 7/8 on a 9/10 flop with two spades. Two callers. The turn is a blank for my straight draw, I bet again. Two callers. The river is a blank, check to me in middle position. I check and the button checks behind showing the winning J/Q missed straight draw but queen high nothing and the other player showing 3/4 missed flush draw. A bet on the river would have taken the pot.

After going through lots of this yesterday I passed on playing at the American Legion tournament. Too bad, I am one of the most consistent final table players there. Instead watched "Social Network", excellent movie.

No comments: