Friday, February 11, 2011

Overplaying Hands

Lately I have seen a trend in tournaments of people overplaying their hands. A few examples:

Player goes all-in, overcall all-in by 10/10 (that is o.k. in my book to isolate a probable ace high race), but then J/J overcalls!!! WTF is he doing? He is looking at a race against every overcard and/or overpair. P.S., he won.

Player all-in, I call raise with 8/8, then it is re-raised all-in with AK (a drawing hand). I call with good pot odds and lose when he spikes an ace. Who was overplaying? I think the AK was, and if the pot was not as large I would not have overplayed my medium pockets.

I raise to 1100 on the button with 10/10 and several limpers with 100/200 blinds. The small blind reraises enough to put me all in which I call to see A/A (I felt pot committed with 1/2 my chips in the pot (1200 more for a 3400 pot). I do believe that I overplayed my hand as the player had not shown himself to be a donk. What could I beat that he could reraise with? Certainly a huge dog to his pairs range and a coin flip to AK which are the only hands I can imagine a raise.

No comments: