Friday, January 28, 2011

Oregon Coast Poker Championship

The first day of the tournament was yesterday and I tried the Omaha hi/lo for a $120 buy in. There were 60 players and I placed 18th. In my long history of tournaments I set a personal best for most all-ins. The start of the day looked like it was going to be my lucky day. I won the first 3 pots, and would have won the first 5 if I had played them. As they say, the deck was just running over me.

Later I cooled off as the blinds got larger and lost a couple of big pots with rivered hands. Example: flopped trip 10's with an ace kicker, player stayed with two pair 6/3 and hit his 3 on the river for a boat. My worst hit was a flop of 7/7/9 and checks around. The jack on the turn gave me the nut straight with my 8/10. I bet, one caller. The river, another jack, giving me the straight plus trip jacks. I bet, am raised for all my chips and I say, "I can't beat your full house, I fold". He says, "I don't have a full house" as he turns over the flopped quad 7's. Good fold, Phil.

Anyway, I kept going all in and getting half the pot which kept me alive, but not healthy with usually only 2-3 big blinds. The elderly lady next to me turned into a luck box, snapping me several times or stealing 1/2 the pot with "inferior" starting hands when she was all in. Example: I had A/2/6/6, she had A/3/5/6. The flop: A/A/3.

I must have gone in 12 plus times, surviving as they say, all but one. On my final hand, the old lady got me with a rivered boat. I had in excess of 12 outs with any 9 or Q giving me the nut straight or small card not an ace or 2 giving me the nut low. Quick omaha test: What did I hold in this hand?

No comments: