Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How to Beat Quads

Something fairly unusual happened in the tournament today. I was chip leader at the table and when a fairly short stack pushed and another player called I also called with my pocket 5's. The other player and I were fairly deep stacked and when the flop came JJ10 we both checked. The turn was another 10, check check. The river was a 5.

Now, here is a situation that I am confident the other live player does not have a jack or 10, but before I can do anything (I am last to act), the all-in player says, "send it, quads!" and turns over his hand. The dealer calls for the floor who rules that his hand is dead. I decide to go ahead and check my full house and the other player reveals a suited ace. The dealer shoves the pot to me. I felt a little bad for the player with quads, but he effectively killed my action on the river. The other player probably would have called my bet figuring two pair with ace kicker would chop.

I pretty much ruled the table from then on, even after losing a big pot with a small blind steal attempt gone wrong. I raised with 7/10 offsuit when all players folded to me, the big blind defended with 5/3 suited?????? Claiming it was his "favorite hand" and flopped the four flush. I hit my 10 and put him all in, which he called incorrectly not getting near the odds for his draw. He of course rivered the flush. He was one of the 3 players who ended up chopping at the end with me.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

You know, I think most people have made this stupid mistake of showing their hand before they are supposed to, but let me say this about that - one of the VERY FIRST THINGS I was ever taught at the poker table is never show your hand unless the dealer tells you to. I can't believe someone with quads would be that dumb, but I'm glad it worked out for you!!