Saturday, January 8, 2011

Good Karma at the Legion

Friday night American Legion tournament. On the short drive there I was thinking of my neighbor who is recovering from two broken ankles. She cancelled her insurance a month before because she could not afford it. They are in a bad way financially as she lost her job almost a year ago. I made the decision to donate any winnings that night to them.

I ran very bad early on, utilizing my "fast tournament" strategy of early aggression for chip accumulation I was down to 1/2 my starting chips (thank you QQ...running into K/10 and flopped two pair). I hung in there and got to the final table out of the 38 starting players. Short stacked as usual I pushed hard with position or cards and got some key double ups. I snapped the aggressive chip leader who raised my big blind with his 8/9 suited with my Q/J offsuit reraise all in. When we were down to 5 players I proposed a chop, but the chip leader said "I have to pay my rent". I commented that I was playing for my neighbor who had been injured.

We eliminated another player, I took the chip lead and the rent payer was the short stack. I proposed another chop and everyone agreed. We each got $349, and the renter even kicked in $13 for my neighbor. Sweet. There is another tournament on Sunday and am thinking of doing the same thing, my own private fundraiser.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

That is really nice of you! Hope your neightbor appreciates all your "hard" work!!