Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oooh, the humanity!

This was of course not a disaster on par with the Hindenburg, yet this week was a really disastrous cash game outing for me. Lost big in every game I played, including Wed. nite Omaha. The only saving grace was two good cashes in the tournaments (2nd place & 4 way chop chop).

An interesting hand came up in the Omaha game. I was playing my favorite pocket pair 88 and the flop came: A/9/8 giving me bottom set. It was raised and capped preflop so when an early position player bet, I raised to isolate. With several callers the turn was a 5. Again, bet, raise and one caller. I am suspecting a bigger set but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. The river is another 5 pairing the board giving me the boat. It is bet, I just call, and the other player raises!!! We cap the river and the first player turns over pocket aces for the big full house, I turn over my baby full house (but should be noted it is not an underfull), and the last player (Marco) slow rolls.......quad 5's. I was not as upset as the aces and neither of us could understand his chase, other than having a low draw which was counterfeited.

I am struggling to figure out how to beat this 2-20 spread. It is just such an ugly game in many ways....more expensive than a 4/8, just as loose as a bad 3/6, and unable to protect your premium hands like in a no limit game. Two good examples from this week: One hand with AA, I raise too little ($8) and get tons of callers, including 5/7 offsuit who flops a straight. Second example: KK under the gun, raise bigger ($12), everyone folds, wasted premium hand. Maybe I am just unlucky getting hands that beat me calling and getting no one with a good hand that wants to play back at me.

I am thinking that bet sizing is a key and maybe I can come up with a better strategy on that. Am thinking: late position if a lot of limpers, I bet $20 with premium hands (AA, KK, QQ), in early position with those hands I bet around $12. to push out marginal hands. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Oh, my gosh, I know exactly what you mean. The 2-20 game just makes me nuts sometimes. I think your plan is a good one and it is one that I generally follow also but, as always, you just need to be aware of the other players at the table. Are they loose or tight or somewhere in between? I really wish we had no limit around here. I think it would change this dramatically. Good luck!!