Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Stuck and Unstuck

Things have not been going well for me pokerwise the past few days. I played in the Sunday morning tournament and went out in 11th place. I do think that was an amazing finish as I never had more that around starting chip stack (except for a few minutes when I won an all-in and got up to around 8,000 very late when the blinds were huge). I have basically been "cold-decked" most of the time. During the tournament I only had 4-5 pocket pairs, and most 7's or below (did have pocket aces late and won a small all-in pot). I did not even see many face cards. Most of my hands were of the big/little unsuited type or the small non-connected 6/2 variety. It is very difficult to get any chips with those cards unless you are very lucky and very bold in bluffing. Gus Hansen could win with those hands, but few others. When I am cold decked in the future I think that I will push hard when in position and hope for the best!

I may be turning around on my fortunes with a small ($100) cash win last night in the 4/8 game. I got stuck $100 faster than it has taken me to type this blog with some great starting cards, lots of callers to my raises, and either missed flops or chasers with almost no draws who got incredibly lucky. Example: Raised preflop with AJ suited in early position, Anh calls from the small blind with 7/3 offsuit. Flop is 7/3/Ace. Sick! Next example: Raise in late position with pocket jacks. Flop has one overcard, but I bet it, 3 callers, continue betting and one caller with a 5 on turn. 5 on the river, I bet and caller raises...with 4/5 offsuit! He had no straight draw, No flush draw, and no overcards on the flop, picked up a 5 on turn and miracle on the river. Unbelievable! The only consolation I have is that those who live by runner runner, die by runner runner.

Update on step tournament. Back up to step 3. Have decided that this is definitely a tough way to earn a wsop seat as you have to finish in top 4 every time to either advance or stay at the same level. If you think about doing this 10 times in a row it is extremely tough!!

No comments: