Monday, March 9, 2009

Bad Plays, Damn Ace Queen again

The Sunday a.m. Moose tournament was really disappointing to me. This is a "sorta deep stack", with 5000 starting chips and slow blinds. I really like the format. I nearly doubled up early when I flopped a set of 9's and doubled up a couple of hands later when my aces met queens. As chip leader early I like to play a little more aggressively and see more flops. I managed to give back some chips like this and when the table broke I had about 9,000, still a very good stack. I was on a table that had knocked out a lot of players and Joe had the big stack and was running very hot. Example: pocket kings, ends up calling an all-in by a good player who has flopped an ace and hits his king on the river. Also got quads early with 3 of them on the board and a non-believer. Anyway, I make one mistake, raising early with suited QJ and getting reraised by a semi-short stack who has pocket 10's. I folded to the re-raise, which brings me to the p0int: if you are going to raise early, ya better be prepared to throw the chips in to a reraise. I should have just limped/folded or better yet folded. I managed to make the final table with a pretty short stack (7,000), and just went card dead. Ended up going all in for my last 2500 (blinds 1/2000) with KQ suited. With 3 callers a good opportunity but missed and lost to A/10 hitting his 10.

My worst play of the weekend was at Jokers deep stack. 10,000 in starting chips and I was doing very, very well. When our table broke I had about 30,000 in chips with blinds at 500/1000. With 30 times big blind and moving to a new table I should have just been patient, getting reads on the new players, but nooooooooo. About 3 hands into the new table I re-raise the under the gun raiser (3000) all-in with AQ. He had 25,000, so my play was very, very dumb. My thought (if you could call it a thought) was that he would lay down almost any pair and AK for all of his chips. Unfortunately he is holding AA so that is just not an option. So, the very next hand, I am down to 5000 chips and a short stack (7500) goes all-in with one caller (a top player) just calling. I decide that my Q10 suited probably has two live cards, plus straight and flush options and is a good spot to triple up. Wrong. I run into pocket aces again (how sick is that), and two of us are gone. What can I say except how stupid can I be!!!

Last comment. Playing the 3/6 game at the moose is just getting to be stupid most of the time. I played last night and lost $10 after about an hour and got up and left. The idiot next to me played every hand, raised most of them, sometimes didn't even look at his cards, overtipped the dealer so that when he did win took the chips out of play (tipped dealer $10 on a $40 pot). Idiot!!! Plus he went broke twice and didn't rebuy immediately, but also sat at the table so the dealer kept dealing him in accidently. I finally could not handle it anymore so I left. Horrible, horrible game.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Oh, I can relate totally. See what I did with my AQ. I feel like an idiot too, but I think deep down we both know we're not. We just have to be "on top of it" all the time in a tournament and sometimes it's just damned hard!