Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mixed Results

This has been a tough week overall. The Friday night American Legion Tournament was a disaster. I was the first one out, though Sandy disputes that as she got caught with pocket queens all-in vs. pocket kings and pocket aces. How sick is that! I just got unlucky early with some great draws that didn't come in plus some top pairs that didn't hold up. The turning point (or perhaps tilt point would be more accurate) was when I called a raise preflop from a very good player with my pocket 6's only to get reraised behind me from someone I would describe charitably as a "lucky idiot" who I had seen jam & rejam with callers with only overcards earlier. The original raiser flat called and I did too. When the flop came out small with the board paired with 3's, the original better put in a big bet saying, "Not a good flop for your ace-king". That is usually a dependable tell....when a player describes a hand he can beat he either has that beat, or has that hand, with the emphasis on having it beat. I was slightly confused, and even though I was convinced someone had a big pair, I laid down my 6's even though my pot odds were very good. The bad player called and the river brought my 6. Pocket queens won the hand (original better), and even though I know it was a good decision it put me on tilt knowing I would have been right back in the game with a lot of chips if I had just pushed it all in. That is the sick luck part of the game as it would have been a very bad call, then hitting my 2 outer. That happened to me today online in a big buy in tournament. I was cruising along with over average chip count when I pick up pocket kings and raise only to get 3 callers and a reraiser. I decide to push all in, and everyone drops but the reraiser with pocket queens. He of course has me covered in chips, and hits his queen on the flop. A poor decision rewarded!

I did get in the money in two tournaments today. 4th place in a 45 person SNG and 2nd in an 18 person SNG.

No comments: