Monday, March 23, 2009

Big Hit on My Poker Bankroll

Last night was a disaster for my bankroll. Let me explain first that I have never made a deposit on Ultimatebet. I won some money on a freeroll and have been playing on that ever since, rolling it up and always trying to play within my bankroll limits, never risking more than about 10% in any one game. Lately I have been fairly hot, winning a few tournaments and doing good on cash omaha games. But then I got cocky, playing in some higher limit rebuy tournaments (always a big cash sink), and higher limit omaha games. Last night I went on a real roll then had to take a quick break to return a couple of rental movies. When I returned I could not win! Every big starting hand failed to deliver, every draw failed to come in, and to make matters worse a donkey was raising preflop with almost any hand, then getting very lucky. There seems to be one of these on every table. They burn through your chips and their chips, roll up big gains only to lose them later, or lose a lot and leave. What is frustrating is getting pushed off a hand you would "like to see a flop with" and folding to his raise and a real hands reraise. This happened last night with my pocket 10's which I like but don't love. Sure enough I would have hit quads, but could not justify paying 4 bets preflop to see it. That was the straw that broke my back and put me on tilt, but I recognized my mindset and quit. It is a lot like the low limit Moose games sometimes. Anyway, my account is now at it's almost all-time low and I have to tighten up in a big way playing very low limit tournaments and slowly building my money back up or (shudder) try to fund my account with a deposit!!

No comments: