Saturday, March 28, 2009

Friday Legion

Another Friday night at the American Legion. I started off like a house on fire, doubling up early when AK raised, I reraised with AA, and he went all-in. I ended up making Aces full of 4's on the hand (which held up all night as high hand, good for $66). Virtually every hand was hitting me solidly or people would fold when I raised because I was so smoking hot. There was a consolidation of tables and a seat change which did not help me. I was easily still chip leader in the tournament when a short stack went all in (with q/10...kids don't try this at home) and the dealer went all-in over the top. I really just miscalculated the dealers chips (he had just won a big pot). I had pocket 9's, so I called his pocket aces and lost about 3000 in chips. OUch! Anyway, made the final table and was 2 out of the money with around 10K in chips, in really good shape when I got pocket kings in early position. With blinds at 600/1200 I decided to just go all-in to pick up blinds and drive out aces and maybe get called by a weak pair on the short stack. A slightly drunk player who has been ultra lucky and was probably 2nd in chips (had me covered by $500) calls me with his ace king offsuit and hits his 3 outer on the flop and I was gone.....Definitely would have cruised into deep money had he not gotten very lucky.

Some days it seems like no matter which side of the equation you are on you lose the coin toss, but in every tournament I have gone out in lately am proud to say that I have been the favorite in nearly every one with the pair vs the overcard(s). On tilt a little at home I played in a 90 person SNG and came in 3rd for a great replenishment of my cash.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Sometimes I think it's unlucky to get lots of chips early on in a tournament. I've done that several times only to become extremely card dead later on and really have to struggle. You just got unlucky this time. I feel good about my play when I get it all in with the best hand too. That happens more often than not. At least you know the other guy is the idiot and not you - ha ha! How goes the step tournament for the WSOP seat???