Friday, February 9, 2018

Good Outing but not maximized

Had a good outing a few days ago at Caribbean card room, but should have been a lot better.  One of my struggles in cash games is bet sizing and sometimes when not to bet!!!  An example was calling a raise with 7/7.  The flop came down 7/2/2 and the original bettor put out a 1/2 pot size bet.  I called.  The turn was a brick, he then checked.  I then bet 1/2 pot and he folded.  Fish off  the hook!!!  One could argue that perhaps he had an overpair and I protected my hand, but in all likelihood he had an ace/x hand that could have improved had I checked, then I could have gotten all of his stack.

This type of scenario seems to be what happens to me a lot.  I blow people out of the hand with strong bets rather than giving some rope so they can hang themselves.  I did end up with almost a 300 profit that day, so I was satisfied, but felt it could have been a lot more.

My winning streak since getting back on the tables was really great, 5 straight wins until yesterday.  That was a disaster with my strong made hands destroyed on the river time after time (board usually pairing to give opponent full house), while my sets could not find a pair on the river.  I recall one big pot that was particularly sick.  A player raised preflop (usually indicating an A/2 type of hand).  Tons of players called and I came along with middle and large suited connectors. The flop came down 5/6/8 with me having two pair (5/6).  With lots of players and a low made there was a ton of betting and raising.  Four of us saw the turn which brought 2 players betting and raising, 2 of us calling.  The river brought a bet and raise, and when the other player folded, so did I.  Turned out he had pocket 6's (set on flop) while the other two had A/2 and one with a small pair.  I was drawing dead, but with a large pot probably should have called on the river.  Just could not imagine that there was not a nut low plus nut straight out there given the action.  Lesson:  sometimes you just gotta throw those last bets in.

I hit one high hand with quad 3's which quickly got beaten by quad 6's. Did not get another hand up on the board but several made it on our table including quad aces, eights, and a full house or 2.  Heard from the floor that another bad beat was hit, this one for $56,000.  Table shares almost $3000.  He said it was straight flush over straight flush in a holdem game.

One other fun outing earlier this week.  While waiting for my seat looked at a table and saw a former salesman of mine from Redmond.  We had a short opportunity to chat, and while doing so, my racquetball/poker buddy came in.  We later sat at the same table with Bryan, another poker friend from the Tri-Cities.  It was a super marginal day, lost almost a hundred in a 3/6 limit game before winning it back in the 1/3/300 spread game.  Finished up precisely $7. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Regarding the first two paragraphs, I have same problem. Working on it.