Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Momentum in Turbos

What is there to say about Turbos? They are the gambling side of tournament play, particularly in the latter stages when no one at the table has more than 10 or 15 big blinds.  Also, they are low buy in, so the payouts are not so good.  Played Monday at Tulalip cause decided it was important to get back on the horse that threw me.  There were 81 entries in the $25 event so it paid 8 spots.  Had a couple of amazing hands.  The first came in my big blind.  A short stack shoved, followed by another slightly bigger stack.  I had to call a few hundred but with great pot odds did so with my "Doyle Brunson" offsuit 10/2.   The board ran out with 4 spades (My 10 was a spade), giving me a straight and a flush, and wait....A jack high straight flush!!!  Two players down.  Getting to the final table, I was never in great shape but survived a couple of all ins including one with 6/9.  A player had shoved with A/5 who had survived earlier with 6/9 making a straight.  I flopped 2 9's and rivered a 6, which was just showing off.  Finally was eliminated in 6 th place which paid only $90, but a win is a win.

Tuesday, another turbo.  Better buy in $40, more chips, 4000 vs 2000 in Modays, 16 minute blinds, around 80 players.  Going deep, down to 14 players, went for the gold  vs. Just cashing.  A player I had beaten a couple of hands min raised under the gun.  He was raising very light, so I shoved a pretty big stack to isolate with my A/Q.  He called along with short stack big blind.  Raiser has 9/9, big blind 2/3. Flop is pretty good for me, J/10/x, giving me nut gutshot straight draw with 2 overs for 10 outs.  Turn is a 3, giving shorty 5 outs.  River is a 9 eliminating both of us in 14th and 13th place.  I literally could have folded to the money (paid 10), but where is the fun in that?  I am playing to win.    Overall think I am playing well and will eventually crush these games.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Sorry I haven't been commenting lately - as you know I've been a little sidetracked.

I'm enjoying the turbo tournaments lately - can't really say why. The one at the Moose is $40 with 5,000 chips so it's really not bad. Usually $500+ for first because they always have 10+ alternates. It's a cheap investment.

Hope you and your family are enjoying Bothell and being closer to extended family. Also hope your health is good. I'm feeling pretty positive about mine.

Miss your face!